NCES.WH.H.8 - Analyze global interdependence and shifts in power in terms of political, economic, social and environmental changes and conflicts since the last half of the twentieth century.
- NCES.WH.H.8.1 - Evaluate global wars in terms of how they challenged political and economic power structures and gave rise to new balances of power (e.g., Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, Vietnam War, Colonial Wars in Africa, Persian Gulf War, etc.).
- NCES.WH.H.8.2 - Explain how international crisis has impacted international politics (e.g., Berlin Blockade, Korean War, Hungarian Revolt, Cuban Missile Crisis, OPEC oil crisis, Iranian Revolt, "911", terrorism, etc.).
- NCES.WH.H.8.3 - Analyze the "new" balance of power and the search for peace and stability in terms of how each has influenced global interactions since the last half of the twentieth century (e.g., post WWII, Post Cold War, 1990s Globalization, New World Order, Global Achievements and Innovations).
- NCES.WH.H.8.4 - Analyze scientific, technological and medical innovations of postwar decades in terms of their impact on systems of production, global trade and standards of living (e.g., satellites, computers, social networks, information highway).
- NCES.WH.H.8.5 - Explain how population growth, urbanization, industrialization, warfare and the global market economy have contributed to changes in the environment (e.g., deforestation, pollution, clear cutting, Ozone depletion, climate change, global warming, industrial emissions and fuel combustion, habitat destruction, etc.).
- NCES.WH.H.8.6 - Explain how liberal democracy, private enterprise and human rights movements have reshaped political, economic and social life in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe, the Soviet Union and the United States (e.g., U.N. Declaration of Human Rights, end of Cold War, apartheid, perestroika, glasnost, etc.).
- NCES.WH.H.8.7 - Explain why terrorist groups and movements have proliferated and the extent of their impact on politics and society in various countries (e.g., Basque, PLO, IRA, Tamil Tigers, Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, etc.).