iPad Restrictions 2018-19
AAC for the iPad is Standard
For IPads able to support it, AAC is now standard, and Guided Access is not used. The instructions below only apply to iPads old enough to not support AAC. The current version of the NCTest App will automatically use AAC if it is supported on your iPad.
Information covering use of Guided Access added 4/22/2014.
For more information concerning Guided Access see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5509
Setting up Guided Access on the iPad for the NCTest app
Guided Access is a feature that restricts use to a single app. Exit from an app under Guided Access requires entry of the code used to place the iPad into Guided Access. Use of Guided Access gives LEAs/Schools the ability toprevent accidental exit from assessments by touching the "home" button and also makes meeting security requirements easier. LEAs and schools must research this option to determine if it is appropriate.
Tap Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access to set up Guided Access.
- Turn Guided Access on
- Set a passcode to control the use of Guided Access and prevent someone from leaving an active session
Start a Guided Access session (for the first time on each iPad) - this could be on the first day of testing or before.
- Open the NCTest App
- Triple-click the Home button.
- Tap “start” in the top right corner
Guided Access app controls
- Touch : On
- Motion : On
- Hardware Buttons> Sleep/Wake : Off
- Hardware Buttons> Volume Buttons: On
Note: After the initial setup Guided Access will not require the app controls to be set again.
On test days after the initial Guided Access setup: open the NCTest App then Triple-click the Home button to put the device straight into Guided Access without a prompt.
To change the options after the initial Guided Access setup: triple-click the Home button and enter your passcode after the device has been put into Guided Access.
End a Guided Access session
- Triple-click the Home button.
- Enter the Guided Access passcode.
- Tap “End” in the top left corner
For more information see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5509
iPad Restrictions (when not using Guided Access)
Please refer to documentation by Apple on iPad/iOS Restrictions, Enterprise and Configurator Support
- iOS: Understanding Restrictions http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4213
- Apple Configurator Overview https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator/id434433123?mt=12
- iPad Support (Enterprise and Apple Configurator details) http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/
Functionality restrictions REQUIRED for use of iPads for online testing using NCTest
(see NCTest Technical Requirements https://center.ncsu.edu/ncaccount/mod/page/view.php?id=1757)
- Allow use of camera: Off
- Allow FaceTime: Off
- Allow screen capture: Off
- Allow Photo Stream: Off
- Allow Shared Photo Stream: Off
- Allow Passbook notifications while locked: Off
- Allow iMessage (Supervised Only): Off
- Allow voice dialing: off
- Allow Siri: Off
- Allow Siri while device is locked: Off
- Enable Siri Profanity Filter (Supervised Only): On
- Allow Bookstore (Supervised Only): Off
- Allow Erotica (Supervised Only): Off
- Allow installing apps: Off
- Allow removing apps (Supervised Only): Off
- Allow in-app purchase: Off
- Require iTunes password for all purchases: On
- Allow iCloud document sync: Off
- Allow iCloud backup: Off
- Allow automatic sync while roaming: Off
- Force encrypted backups: NA
- Allow Location Services: Off
- Allow users to accept untrusted TLS certificates: Off
- Allow Configuration Profile Installation (Supervised Only): NA
- Send diagnostic and usage data to Apple: Off
- Allow use of YouTube: Off
- Allow use of iTunes Store: Off
- Allow use of Game Center (Supervised Only): Off
- Allow multiplayer gaming: Off
- Allow adding Game Center friends: Off
- Enable autofill: Off
- Force fraud warning: On
- Block pop-ups: Off
- Accept cookies: All
Media content restrictions
- Ratings region: US
- Allowed content ratings: NA
- Allow explicit music, podcasts & iTunes U: Off